Mar 10, 2010

Indi-Italian Fusion Sizzler

I was missing my favourite sizzlers from Cafe Upper Crust.
If one has lived in Ahmedabad, India, will know this place, a very popular joint amongst collegians.
I just loved sizzlers over there and my craving for the same lead me towards preparing this one.

One thing that i have realised it over the time here is, more i cook more i can imagine a taste looking at ingredients and also more i come closer to recreating a taste from my memory. After some Googling, some experimental visualisation i came up with this.

We simply loved it, one of the yummiest treats.


Let's collect ingredients for Veg pancakes :

1 cup potato, boiled and mashed
½ cup Cauliflower, grated
½ cup carrot, grated
½ cup cottage cheese (paneer), grated
2 to 3 tablespoons corn meal
3 to 4 tablespoon Bread crumbs
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon chilly paste
salt , pepper, sugar to taste


Let's prepare Veg. pancakes :

Combine all the ingredients together except the butter and shape into pancakes, approx 75 mm. (3") in diameter.
Cook over a medium flame on a non-stick griddle (tava) using a little butter, till both sides are golden brown. Keep aside.

Let's collect ingredients for Tangy Sauce :

1 cup vegetable stock ( I used 1 ready made veg stock tablet available )
1 teaspoon green chili paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
¼ cup brown vinegar
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup water
2 tablespoons corn flour
1 tablespoon soya sauce
1 tablespoon chili sauce
¼ cup Tomato puree
2-3 tablespoon Tomato ketchup

Let's prepare Tangy Sauce :
Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a pan, mix well and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce is thick. Keep aside.

Let's collect ingredients for the buttered vegetables :

½ cup carrots, peeled and cubed
½ cup potatoes, peeled and cubed
½ cup cauliflower
1½ teaspoons butter
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper to taste


Let's prepare the buttered vegetables :

Parboil all the vegetables and immerse them in cold water.
Heat the butter in a pan, add the vegetables, salt and pepper and toss for a few seconds. Keep aside.
Let's collect ingredients for penne Pasta :

2 cups penne pasta, cooked
½ cup onions, sliced
½ cup green bell pepper, sliced
¼ cup tined pineapple cubes
4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
chilli flakes
2 tablespoon tangy sauce


Let's prepare Pasta :

Heat the oil in a pan, add onions and garlic.
Add sliced green bell peppers and pineapple cubes and toss.
Add 2 spoons tangy sauce and mix well. Add salt, pepper and cream. Mix well.
Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes and adjust the seasoning. Keep hot.Just before serving, toss the pasta in this sauce and mix well.

Let's assemble the Sizzler :
Heat sizzler plate over an open flame till they are red hot. Place them on their respective wooden trays. ( I have induction stove, so heated it in oven )

Put a few cabbage leaves on cast iron plate as first layer covering iron surface.
Spread Pasta over cabbage leaves. Top with 2 veg pancakes on sizzler plate.
Top it with tangy sauce.
Add some buttered vegetables on one side of sizzler.


Pour the oil-water mixture on the sides of the cast iron plates for a sizzling effect.
Serve immediately.

27 comments:

Hayley said...

Hey lopa, are you from amdavad? me too!! we'll talk about that later..let's talk about this gorgeous dosh here..looks awesome and I am gone trying it out very soon...looks so delicious and tempting..;-))

Unknown said...

Lopa, another tempting dish..italian mexican indian sizzlers..Guess what..My dad is a very big fan of veg sizzler and he can cook it fantastic as well..but I do get a little lousy to prepare tons of things and getting it together..If served..I would finish it all at a time..

Lizzy said...

That looks absolutely delicious Lopa! And I think I could actually make this one! Yay!

Anonymous said...

wow Lopa...it looks so delicious...
i have to make this....thank for this great recipe.... n ya u describe
whole recipe step by step ..so its easy to understand n cook...

dhara said...

wow Lopa...it looks so delicious...
i have to make this....thank for this great recipe.... n ya u describe
whole recipe step by step ..so its easy to understand n cook...

~ Lopa said...

@ Jagruti 
Thanks Jagruti. I lived in Ahmedabad for 6 years before moving here in 2008 :o)

~ Lopa said...

@ A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine 

hehehe, I feel the same, but sometimes my cravings gets bigger than my lousiness and this is a result of one such incident.... hehehe

~ Lopa said...

@ Lizzy 

hahaha, i actually thought about you when i posted this as there are no complicated Indian spices in this one, so you might be happy seeing it that finally something sounding not so complicated :o)

~ Lopa said...

@ Anonymous
Thanks and welcome to my blog, looking fwd to see you here more often here and know you more :o)

~ Lopa said...

@ dhara

Thanks dhara, I am happy you liked it :o)
Let me know when you try this one, hehe

Pinay in Dutchland said...

Hey Lopa this looks yummy! Reminded me of our sweet spaghetti back in the Philippines. And your photography is improving a lot! Kudos.

Nithya said...

Lopa I saw the pic of ur dish on fb last evening... it was so damn tempted but somehow could not open the page.. I am so reminded of UCC... I love sizzlers too and this recipe of yours has made this dish look so simple.. as dhara puts it all easy n simple to understand steps-clear demonstration...
I envy ur cooking skills.. but I am happy looking at ur posts. It inspires me to experiment...

Ms.Chitchat said...

Wow, that is an awesome dish to make at home. Loved the patience to click step by step. Thanks for sharing.

~ Lopa said...

@ Pinay in Dutchland

Thanks :)
I think that improvement comes from camera and not my photography skils...lol...thanks for commenting :o)

~ Lopa said...

@ Nithya 

Next time India aavu, to you also come to A'bad, then we will go to UCC together ;)
I envy your cooking skills as well Nitu darling, I have lost count of how many times i have asked for those special South Indian recipes from you...hehehe

~ Lopa said...

@ Ms.Chitchat 

Thanks for commenting on this as well, i always feel photos are easier to understand than reading description, so i try to take pictures in between, but I manage only sometimes :o)

Siddhi Shirsat said...

wow lopa such a yummy treat...this sizzlers made me hungry...thy r just super yummm....lovely preparation...no words to say...just big yummmmmmmmmmm

sm said...

delicious
dish
thanks for pics

~ Lopa said...

@ Siddhi S

Thanks :)
It is so difficult to restrain to eat till photos are taken, that's also test of self-control....hehe

~ Lopa said...

@ sm

Thanks sm for commenting on this as well :)
When there is an appreciate for what we do, all hard work seems worth it... and that applies to anything we do... hehehe :)

Pari Vasisht said...

wow, u have a sizzler plate. I have been wanting to buy. The platter looks amazing. Btw try putting some butter on the hot plate, that's what they do in restaurants.

Deepa said...

hey that looks awesome..will try soon.. sizzlers are my favorite.

~ Lopa said...

@ Pari,

I am such a fan of Sizzlers, i had to buy sizzler plate...hehe
Thanks for dropping by :)

~ Lopa said...

@ Deepa

It's my favorite too, looking at all the comments i feel motivated trying some other sizzler versions :)

~ Lopa said...

@.Skye.

Thanks for visit and following :)

Az said...

Hwy Lopa... m from A'bad as well.. but moved here (US) in 1998. So not so much familiar with all the places over there.. but i am sure with you around I should be able to get atleast some of the recipes... this fusion cooking looks great!! shall try it soon... lovely space.. Keep it up!!!

Veggie Hut said...

tumbled here while searching for a sizzler recipe.. awesome space.. i wonder how i missed it..wil be here often..adding u to my blog roll.. do drop down to mine when time permits..

Search This Blog