Interestingly while we lived in India, we never ever once ordered this tasty vegetable when we ate at restaurants. Always were too focused on Paneer (cottage cheese) and some nice tandoori things.
I tried this recipe for the first time after moving to Netherlands, honestly it was just to have something different in the meal and didn't have any high expectations.
But once we had it, it became one of out absolute favorite... any thing that dear hubby loves goes on my frequent cooking list (newly married or looking for ways to win your husband, note this down as one of the tips, win his tummy and you should be good ;-) )
Now that this summer i also sow some fenugreek in my small veggie corner, got plenty of good fresh fenugreek leave on hand... so already made this one a few times.
And why not, this one is absolute yumm with added benefits of fenugreek. And goes well with roti, naan, rice anything. And easy to make ! win win.
So shall we start?
Let's collect ingredients:
2 cups chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
1 Onion, chopped
3/4 cup Boiled Green peas
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tbsp Sugar
2-3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
Dry Powdered Spices:
For the spices either you can roast and powder below listed items or alternatively just used "garam masala" powder.
2 small sticks cinnamon
3 cloves ( lavang)
2 cardamoms (elaichi)
3 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
1 tsp cumin seeds
To be ground into a paste:
3-4 Green Chillies
2-3 tbsp Cashew nuts
2 tsp Poppy seeds (khus khus)
|Methi Mutter Malai|
1. Wash the fenugreek leaves. Add 1/2 tsp of salt. leave it aside for 15 mins and then squeeze our the water.
2. Boil the tomatoes in water for about 10 mins, let it cool slightly and blend into puree.
3. Heat 1-2 tbsp oil, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Add fenugreek leaves, cook for a few mins (3-4 mins). Remove it from pan.
4. Add balance 1-2 tbsp oil, let it heat again. Add onions and fry till golden.
5. Add grounded paste and fry for a min. Add tomato puree and dry masala to it. Simmer for a 3-4 mins and then add green peas, fenugreek that we had kept aside after sauting, milk, sugar, salt and little water to bring it at preferred consistency.
6. Cook for a few mins and serve hot !