Nov 28, 2012
Nov 15, 2012
Sep 27, 2012
Sep 20, 2012
1 small bunch Spring Onions, finely cut
1 large Tomato, finely cut
1 Large clove of Garlic, grated
1 tsp Ginger- green chili paste (to taste)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
A pinch Asafetida (hing)
¼ tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Coriander- cumin powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
Salt (to taste)
A pinch of sugar (to taste)
Mar 19, 2012
Vegetable Frankie, the name may sound continental but it is a very "desi" Indian road side food. This is more known in Maharashtra and Gujarat.
What i made here is not totally Mumbai style Frankie but my own Gujarati version, they way i used to get it at my hometown. This time when we visited India, i made Ashu taste it and he immediately loved it so then i decided to try it at home as well to satisfy our taste buds.
Let's collect Ingredients:
For Wrap / Rotis:
1/2 cup Plain/ all purpose flour
1/2 cup self-rising flours
(i took all purpose and self-rising flour both but you can replace self-rising flour quantity with all purpose flour)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp oil
Salt to taste
Oil for kneading as needed.
Butter for cooking
2 tbsp oil/ butter
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 cups boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes
1/2 cup boiled, mashed carrots (optional)
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chaat masala
Salt to taste
Bread crumbs (optional)
For Garlic-tomato Sauce: (optional)
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 tbsp hot tomato ketch-up
1/2 tsp oil
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp red chili powder
Salt to taste
For Masala Water:
1/3 cup of water
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1/4 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped capsicum
(Any vegetables / salad of your choice)
4 tsp Frankie masala or Chaat masala
Let's prepare Veg. Frankies:
For Wraps / Rotis:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into soft and pliable dough using enough water. Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Knead again using some oil till it is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 6/8 equal portions in and roll out each into approx. 8"/ 10" diameter thin circle.
- Heat a tava (griddle) and cook each roti lightly on a medium flame and keep aside.
Let's prepare the stuffing:
- Heat the oil/butter in a pan; add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, carrot (and any other vegetable of your choice as per your wish), chili powder, garam masala, chaat masala, coriander and salt, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another minute. Keep aside.
- This stuffing can be used as it is but i prefer making patty from it. For the patty, divide the mixture in equal 6/8 portions. Shape them in to patty and shallow / deep fry them. If they don't hold together, add some bread-crumbs.
Let's prepare Garlic-tomato Sauce:
- Heat the oil and sauté the garlic for a few seconds.
- Add all the other ingredients to it and bring to boil.
- Let it cool down.
Let's prepare Masala Water:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and keep aside.
Let's assemble Frankies:
1. Place a wrap/ roti on the tava (griddle) and cook on a medium flame using ½ tsp butter till both sides turn light brown in color.
2. Place it on a clean, dry surface; apply Garlic-tomato sauce on one end of the wrap / roti. Place the stuffing/ patty on it and top with ¼ cup of onions, capsicums (and salad of your choice).
3. Sprinkle 1½ tsp of masala water and ½ tsp of Frankie / chaat masala evenly over it and roll it up tightly. (Optional: you can also apply some tomato ketch-up on it)
4. Fold the edges at one end and wrap in an aluminum foil/tissue paper and serve immediately.
5. Repeat the procedure with the remaining ingredients.
Cheese Frankie: sprinkle 1/3 cup of grated cooking cheese over the stuffing patty (at step 3) and proceed as per the recipe.
Schezuan Frankie: smear 1½ tbsp of schezuan sauce in stead of garlic - tomato sauce (or can add both) evenly on the roti (at step 2) and proceed as per the recipe.
Paneer Frankie: for the stuffing, half the quantity of boiled potatoes and add same quantity of chopped paneer in stead (no other veggies in patty) and proceed as per the recipe.