Let's collect Ingredients for Red Velvet Cake:
250 gms sifted Self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
100 gms unsalted butter, at room temperature
300 gms granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
240 ml buttermilk
2 tbsp red food coloring
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:
225 gms cream cheese, room temperature
225 gms Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
115 gms confectioners'/ icing / powdered) sugar, sifted
360 ml cold heavy whipping cream (double cream) (35-40% butterfat)
Let's start baking the Red Velvet Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Butter two round cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper.
3. Mix together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes) in a separate bowl.
5. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
6. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
7. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
8. In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
9. In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
10. Working quickly, divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
12. Let cakes cool down on a wire rack.
13. Once the cakes have completely cooled, wrap in plastic and place the cake layers in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight. (This makes filling and frosting the cakes easier.)
Let's prepare Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. In the bowl, beat the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese until smooth.
2. Add the vanilla and confectioners sugar and beat until smooth.
3. Gradually add the heavy cream and whip until the frosting is thick enough to spread.
4. Add more sugar or cream as needed to get the right consistency.
Let's assemble the Red Velvet Cake:
1. With a serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half, horizontally. You will now have four cake layers.
2. Spread the cake layer with a layer of frosting.
3. Place another layer of cake on top of the frosting and continue to frost and stack the cake layers.
4. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
5. Garnish the cake in a way you like. And your cake is ready !