This is a favourite whenever we are up for eating something simple and not too heavy as if you know Indian food, it is normally a big affair.
That day Ashu had to go for a client meeting, so i had to cook only for myself and what better option could have it been than this !
Basically you can put anything and everything in this dish, and so everytime i prepare it i add something extra or i make some variation, and it always tastes good.
I have just noted down how i did it yesterday.... then upto you to customise it as you want.
Let's collect Ingredients :
1- cup plain rice ( I haven't seen here plain rice we use in India for this, so i use thai rice here.)
1/4 - moong daal ( you can also use ahar/toor daal)
2 cup chopped vegetables of your choice ( I used 1 potato, 1/2 carrot, 1/2 cup green peas, 1 onion, 1/2 eggplant, a few florets of cauliflower, 1 tomato, you can also put green beans )
1 tsp - green chilli, garlic paste
2 tsp - red chilli powder
1 tsp - turmeric powder
A pinch of sugar and garam masala to taste
Whole spices (garam masala ) - 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick broken into pieces, 3 clove, 4-5 whole black pepper-corns ( They also can be skipped if not available but i like them both for taste and aroma )
1 tbsp - Butter / ghee
1 tsp - cumin seeds
curry leaves ( i didn't use it)
salt to taste
Let's start cooking :
1. Wash rice and moong dal in running water. Soak in 2 cups of water and keep aside.
2. In a big pan, heat butter /ghee. When it is hot, add cumin seeds and curry leaves. when it sputters add whole spices and green chilli ginger garlic paste. Stir-fry for about a minute.
3. Add all vegetables, peanuts, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt. Mix well.
4. Add rice and mung dal along with the water.
5. Increase the heat to medium high. Let the mixture boil for 3 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until rice is cooked. It is done when all the water is absorbed.
We call it Khichdi / Masala khichdi/ Vaghareli khichdi. You can eat it by itself or with yougurt or Kadhi (recipe coming up soon)
1. Put double the water than rice and daal mixture. i.e. 1 cup rice and daal = 2 cups water.
2. Basic vegetables are potatoes, onions. You can select other vegetables as per your preference.