Sometimes we all pass through those phases when we try something and love it then we can't help going on and on with similar new things.
For me it was pumpkin and baked dishes. I was obsessed with pumpkin after trying this amazing pumpkin soup that i blogged about. And then kept looking for what else can i do with it. I ended up coming through some recipes but most of them using sweet potato. But i decided i am just going to make it the way i find okey. To be true it was more like with whatever i had in pantry.
Dear hubby is a big fan of baked dishes and so i am always in search of something nice and inspiring to bake. This is what i ended up baking one day and total thumbs up.
The best things about it is it is really easy and simple to prepare and doesn't even require you to go grocery for the lots of ingredients.
It is basically simple layers of slices of potatoes, of pumpkin with cheese spread in between. Aah and not to forget creamy sauce on the top.
|Potato Pumpkin Gratin|
1/2 peeled pumpkin, sliced thinly
3-4 peeled potatoes, sliced thinly
black pepper or cayne pepper if you like it,
1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese or any other cheese of your preference.
salt to taste
For the sauce:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 large cloves of garlic, minced or cut finely.
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Let's start assembling and baking:
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
2. Meanwhile, In a small saucepan add the cream, garlic and thyme and heat for sometime to absorb garlic flavour into the cream.
|Steps - Potato Pumpkin Gratin in progress.|
4. Place a layer of thinly sliced potatoes on the bottom of baking dish.
5. Add salt, pepper and a small amount of cheese on top.
7. Place a layer of pumpkin on top of that potato layer.
8. Add salt, pepper and a small amount of cheese on top.
9. Repeat the steps one more time with potato - pumpkin layers.
10. Pour the creamy sauce over the potatoes and cheese.
11. Add final layer of cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.