Jul 20, 2010

Hot Pot Macroni

I love this dish, specially the way it beans and macroni blends with each other. We used to have this dish in one of our favorite restaurant back home, and like many other dishes I missed this dish so badly!
That made me do some searching, and some adjustments to achieve the taste I was missing, and this is the result. I absolutely love it! A complete dish in itself.


Let's collect the ingredients:

1 cup, cooked Macroni
1 1/2 Onions
1 Capsicum
3 Tomatoes2 cloves Garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1 small can, Baked Beans (I mixed white beans in tomato and kidney beans)
3 tbsp Tomato ketch-up
5-6 tbsp white cheese sauce,
50 gms, grated cheese
1 tbsp Butter
Salt to taste

Let's start cooking:

Cut the onions and capsicums into rings.

Put the tomatoes in a bowl and microwave on HIGH for about 3 to 4 minutes. Cool and remove the skins. Grate.

Put the butter in a non-stick pan; add onion rings and sauté for 30 half a minute. Add the capsicum rings and sauté. (You can also microwave them) Take out some rings of Onion and Capsicum for decoration.Add garlic, tomato pulp, chili powder and let it cook well.

Add beans, salt and tomato ketch up and mix well. Layer them on a baking plate.

Mix cooked macroni with cheese sauce. I did that in the same pan as I did other veggies so that it also gets a pinch of taste from using same pan.


Lay this as a layer on top of mixture in baking plate.Cover it with those veggie rings we kept aside for decoration and cheese.

Bake for approx. 30 mins or till the cheese is melted and forms a layer the way you prefer it.
I like it baked till brown spots appear on the melted cheese, giving it a bit firm look.
Your Hot Pot Macroni is ready! Serve hot.

15 comments:

Umm Mymoonah said...

Oooh! yummy yummy with melting cheese and veggies.
There is an event going on in my blog, looking forward to your delicious entries:-)
http://tasteofpearlcity.blogspot.com/p/events.html

Kiran said...

Very delicious baked macaroni with veggies.

Unknown said...

That is one mouth watering dish dear.

notyet100 said...

delicious,.:-)

Chetana Suvarna Ganatra said...

My son wud do anything to hv tis as supper...his absolute fav...n yes u guess it right, tis macaroni is baked atleast twice a month in my kitchen.

Priya Suresh said...

Drooloworthy macaroni, makes me hungry..

Lizzy said...

That looks like American food hehe. Yummy :-) And you decorated the top so pretty! One question...what is the white cheese sauce? Do you make it yourself or buy it somewhere?

~ Lopa said...

@ Lizzy

Hey Lizzy, It depends, sometimes i just use those cheese sauce of knorr we get at AH and sometimes i prepare it myself.

It's same we prepare with pasta sometimes using milk, flour, butter, salt and cheese.

In a big pan mix butter and flour at the paste kind of consistency. ( for 500 gms of macroni, approx 1/2 cup flour and 100 grm butter) Keep stirring on low flame for 5 mins. When flour looks like cooked, add milk (for same measurement around 2 cups). Keep stirring so that lumps are not formed. If you want a bit spice taste you can add chopped green chilies. (I didn't for this recipe, but i do when i prepare baked pineapple macroni). Add some salt and then some cheese. ( Check on salt as cheese will also have some salt.) Your white sauce is ready.

Lizzy said...

Ok, I figured that's how you made it but I was just curious. And excuse me? Baked pineapple macaroni with green chili cheese sauce? I think I just died and went to heaven lol.

~ Lopa said...

hahaha, Lizzy you make me laugh.

I like that sweet, sour, hot combination.... ;o) hehe
That's one of Ashu's favorite, so whenever i want to please him, i just got to bake Pineapple Macroni for him ;) hehe

Pari Vasisht said...

OMG, why only kids I also love it. Looks scrumptious.

RV said...

A symphony of flavors, looks yumm.

Satya said...

hi lopa...
u got a beautiful space here with lovely collection of yummy n irresistible tempting recipes ...very happy to find u ...
this macaroni looks awesome ....wonderful looking ,well explained ,mouthwatering dish ...bookmarked
if u get time do visit my blog

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Unknown said...

Nice recipe, Lopa - actually, very different to the usual way in which we cook pasta (Argentina) so definitely worth trying, if you'd recommend it! Thhanks for sharing.

lubnakarim06 said...

Yummy.....colorful and tempting...

Search This Blog